Understand the methods used to quantify the energy, economic and environmental impacts of distributed PV to a variety of stakeholders.
Value of Solar® Studies
Value of Solar studies provide utilities, government agencies and other industry stakeholders objective data for policy development, rate design and resource planning.
- Solar+ Homes: If an Integrated Approach Works in a Retrofit Application, New Homes Will Be Even Better (June 2018 – presentation)
- Value of Solar+Storage in Guam (March 2018)
- Montana Solar Market Assessment (January 2018)
- Valuation of Solar + Storage in Hawaii: Methodology (June 2015)
- Maine Distributed Solar Valuation Study (April 2015)
- Minnesota Value of Solar: Methodology (March 2014)
- The Value of Distributed Solar Electric Generation to San Antonio (March 2013)
- Net Metering: Quantifying Benefits and Sharing Costs (Feb. 2013 – presentation)
- The Value of Distributed Solar Electric Generation to New Jersey and Pennsylvania (Nov. 2012)
- Designing Austin Energy’s Solar Tariff Using a Distributed PV Value Calculator (March 2011)
- The Value of Distributed Photovoltaics to Austin Energy & the City of Austin (March 2006)
Using Storage and Renewable Energy Resources for Demand Side Management
Reducing demand for electricity during times of peak usage can help utilities defer system capacity upgrades. This research examines how the use of PV systems and storage can be employed to reduce customer demand during times of peak load.
- Quantifying the Cost of High Photovoltaic Penetration (May 2010)
- Maximizing PV peak shaving with solar load control: validation of a web-based economic evaluation tool (Aug. 2003)
- Maximizing the Value of Customer-Sited PV Systems Using Storage & Controls (Jan. 2005)
- Identifying Distributed Generation & Demand Side Management Investment Opportunities (Sep. 1996)
Societal Benefits of Distributed PV
This research quantifies the economic, energy security and environmental benefits renewable energy technologies offer to society as a whole.
- Solar Sustained Vehicles: A Consumer’s Solution to Protection in an Age of Oil Dependence, Economic Uncertainty, & Global Warming (Nov. 2008)
- Tax Revenue Protection Through Outage Risk Mitigation: The Value of Distributed PV to The Federal Government (Oct. 2002)
- Reduce, Reuse, Renew: One Possible Approach to Cut Carbon Emissions (July 2000)
Impact of Electric Rates on PV Value
For PV system owners, electric rate availability and selection can have a significant impact on the value of their system. This research provides solar installers information about how rate selection affects their customers.
- The CA Net Energy Metering Report: Approach, Results & Implications (Apr. 2010)
- Are Photovoltaic Systems Worth More to Residential Consumers on Net Metered Time-of-Use Rates? (Jan. 2004) – paper + presentation
- A Simple Method for Consumers to Address Uncertainty When Purchasing Photovoltaics (Sep. 2003)
Cost Savings and Market Opportunities with Distributed PV
This research examines how installing PV at or near the point of use can eliminate the need for utilities to invest in distribution infrastructure upgrades or new distribution facilities as customer loads increase, as well as the viability of micro-grids and their potential to create market opportunities for residential developers.
- The Potential Market for Photovoltaics & Other Distributed Resources in Rural Electric Cooperatives (July 2000)
- A Micro-Grid with PV, Fuel Cells, & Energy Efficiency (June 1998) – paper + presentation
- Clean Distributed Resources in the U.S. Residential Market (Nov. 1999)
- Distributed Photovoltaics in New Jersey (Oct. 2003)
- Using Distributed Resources to Manage Risks Caused by Demand Uncertainty (Jan. 1998)
- Distributed Generation & Micro-Grids (Sep. 1997) – paper + presentation
- The Value of Grid-Support Photovoltaics in Reducing Distribution System Losses (Sep. 1995)
Investing in Renewable Energy Technology
This research provides an analysis of risk management and credit rating trends for solar developers and utilities investing in large solar projects.
- Credit Ratings & Photovoltaic Investments (Sep. 1997)
- Investments Under Uncertainty: State Prices in Incomplete Markets (Aug. 1997)
- Integrating Renewable Energy Technologies in the Electric Supply Industry: A Risk Management Approach (June 1997)
- Managing Risk Using Renewable Energy Technologies (Jan. 1997)