Who Are We?
Looking for a job that makes a real difference in our world today and one that you’ll be proud of when you look back in 20, 30 or 40 years? This is it. Clean Power Research® is advancing the energy transformation through cloud software that informs, streamlines and values energy-related decisions and processes for utilities, energy professionals and consumers.
We’re a growing company that counts 10 of the top 10 Fortune 500 utilities and many of the largest renewable energy companies in the U.S. as our customers. We’re focused on expanding our market reach and impact with new software technologies that help solve the energy industry’s hardest problems.
At Clean Power Research, every employee has a seat at the table and an important role.
Why Work Here?
- Go from building solutions to being part of the solution
- Join a growing team of software and energy veterans from companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Oracle, General Electric and Pacific Gas & Electric
- Bring your passion and ideas to the table
- Use your creativity to solve hard problems and make tough decisions
- Work in a start-up like environment coupled with the stability and customer base of an established, profitable company
- Realize work-life balance; we like to see our families, friends and pets at night!
- Join a growing company that expects you to grow with us and invests in your growth
Clean Power Research offers competitive compensation and benefits to full-time employees including medical/dental/vision, paid vacation, paid holidays, a bonus plan and 401(k) plan with matching.
What You’ll Be Doing as a Technical Product Manager
Clean Power Research seeks a high-performing Technical Product Manager for WattPlan®, the leading product chosen by electric utilities to educate their customers with self-service renewable energy, electric vehicle and building electrification advice.
The Technical Product Manager is the internal and external technical champion for the product, able to explain its structure, inner workings and capabilities to audiences of any type. This role requires a depth of knowledge that enables efficient communication with engineers regarding underlying mechanics of the product, such as its bill and incentive engines, energy load models and related datasets. This role also requires deep knowledge of the electric utility industry, the ability to distill complex topics for varied audiences, data analysis acumen, customer empathy, and feature ideation skills. Clean Power Research Technical Product Managers generally possess engineering or scientific backgrounds and interact directly and routinely with the development team.
This role routinely interacts with customers to understand the details of electric utility programs and how the costs, credits and energy models work therein. Through these conversations and self-directed research, this person will deeply understand utility rate design, distributed solar accounting methods, energy load models and diverse types of energy-related incentives. Equipped with this information, the Technical Product Manager will drive the technical aspects of the product roadmap by defining customer requirements and collaborating with engineers and program managers to translate those into technical feature specifications.
The Technical Product Manager regularly interacts with Customer Success Managers as internal users of WattPlan configuration tools to drive best practices, discover problems, and identify solutions. This person will oversee the data management process and work with Data Managers to execute. This person will also work closely with designers and other product managers to ensure that important technical details are preserved in the UI/UX.
This position offers a great opportunity for long-term career growth. A self-driven, collaborative individual who is eager to learn will excel in this role. The strongest candidates will care about the details, love telling the product’s story, and have a knack for making complex topics understandable.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be the internal and external champion of underlying product capabilities, models, and related datasets
- Develop a deep understanding of electric utility rates, energy-related incentives, renewable energy, electric vehicle, building electrification, and energy efficiency programs, as well as related consumer products and services
- Discover customer (internal and external) needs, document requirements and work with product and program managers and engineers to build and validate solutions
- Analyze and validate product capabilities and data accuracy
- Ensure efficient product deployments by advancing the non-developer configuration feature set
- Oversee, document, and implement data management and site configuration processes and best practices
- Articulate the technical differentiation of the product through compelling demos and presentations both online and at events
- Stay abreast of the market and identify and assess competitors and threats
- Provide technical support and generate content for sales, marketing, and business development
Who You Are
- 1+ years of experience in the energy industry as a product manager, subject matter expert or similar role, however, exceptional recent undergrad candidates with energy economics or modeling experience will be considered
- Engineering or scientific BS degree, MS is a plus
- Experience in energy systems modeling, data analysis, and data visualization in Excel and/or scientific programming languages such as Python
- Passion for advancing the clean energy transition
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Superior organizational and project management skills
- Experience working with utilities and/or in the software industry is a plus
How To Apply
Click the link below to submit your resume. Please include a cover letter detailing your interest in this position and the renewable energy space along with your resume. Due to the large number of applicants for our positions, we regret that we can only respond to candidates who meet our requirements.
Clean Power Research is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The company’s employment decisions are based on merit, competence, performance and business needs.