Technical Product Manager – WattPlan
WHO ARE WE?
Looking for a job that makes a real difference in our world today and one that you’ll be proud of when you look back in 20, 30 or 40 years? This is it. Clean Power Research® is advancing the energy transformation through cloud software that informs, streamlines and values energy-related decisions and processes for utilities, energy professionals and consumers.
We’re a growing company and award-winning innovator that counts seven of the top 10 U.S. utilities and many of the largest solar companies as our customers. We’re focused on expanding our market reach and impact with new software technologies that help solve the energy industry’s hardest problems.
At Clean Power Research, every employee has a seat at the table and an important role.
WHY WORK HERE?
- Go from building solutions to being part of the solution
- Join a growing team of software and energy veterans from companies such as Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle, NextEra and Pacific Gas & Electric
- Bring your passion and ideas to the table
- Use your creativity to solve hard problems and make tough decisions
- Work in a start-up like environment coupled with the stability and customer base of an established, profitable company
- Realize work-life balance; we like to see our families, friends and pets at night!
- Join a growing company that expects you to grow with us and invests in your growth
Clean Power Research offers competitive compensation and benefits to full-time employees including medical/dental/vision, paid vacation, paid holidays, a bonus plan and 401(k) plan with matching.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING AS A TECHNICAL PRODUCT MANAGER
This Technical Product Manager position is for WattPlan® Grid, a product for electric utilities that uses machine learning to forecast customer-level distributed energy resource (DER) adoption, and resulting load and revenue impacts. Using this product and its scenario-based planning features, utilities can better design rates and customer programs whiles gaining key insights for their resource and infrastructure planning.
The person in this role will work closely with customers to gain a deep understanding of their problems and then develop solutions that can be implemented by the software engineering team. Key customer interactions will involve gathering information on current and future customer needs, product demonstration, consultation and support.
This position will often interact with other internal Clean Power Research teams, including software engineering, research & consulting, sales, marketing, design and other product managers. This role requires the ability to effectively work with these teams to exceed revenue and profitability goals.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with techniques in data science. This includes statistical analysis and data visualization necessary for drawing conclusions, and presenting findings to customers and internal stakeholders. The ideal candidate will also have a basic understanding of applied machine learning best practices, including problem definition, data preparation, algorithm selection and performance measurement.
The person in this role will be involved in the analysis and validation of the product’s forecast results, as well as the design and testing of new algorithms. The Technical Product Manager will provide internal technical support for marketing, sales and business development functions, and represent the company at technical conferences through publications and presentations.
This position is for an individual contributor and offers a great opportunity for long-term growth and leadership as the company continues to build expertise in machine learning for the energy industry. The company and product serve a complex, creative and competitive marketplace. A self-driven and highly motivated individual will excel in this role.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Discover customer needs, and write user stories and business requirements that lead to feature specifications to meet those needs
- Serve as an internal technical champion, combining knowledge of software development, passion about subject matter and strong math/statistics background
- Analyze and validate product capability and data accuracy for customer product adoption, engagement and marketing business needs
- Coordinate and prioritize research, design and software engineering efforts
- Understand the evolving business and competitive landscape and communicate the near- and long-term product roadmap
- Be a leading technical representative from Clean Power Research on machine learning and its benefit to Clean Power Research customers, particularly electric utilities
- Articulate the technical differentiation and commercial value of the product
- Demo software products in person and over the web
WHO YOU ARE
- Minimum of BS degree required, preferably in engineering, math or physics
- 2 or more years of product management, including experience with software-as-a-service
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Superior organizational skills, ability to multitask across multiple concurrent projects and multiple business units
- Experience working with utilities or the broader energy industry
- Notable passion for cleantech or renewable energy
- Plusses that may differentiate the best candidates:
- Basic understanding of applied machine learning, from problem definition to data preparation, algorithm selection and performance measurement
- Experience with scientific programming, such as R or Python
- Experience with ML toolkits, such as TensorFlow or the Microsoft Cognitive Toolkit (formerly CNTK)
- Experience with forecasting methods, particularly methods used by electric utilities to forecast load growth
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the link below to submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the renewable energy space along with your resume. Due to the large number of applicants for our positions, we regret that we can only respond to candidates who meet our requirements.
Clean Power Research is located in Kirkland (Greater Seattle Area) near the intersection of SR520 and Lake Wash. Blvd NE (Greater Seattle Area). Local, full-time, in-office candidates only, please.
Clean Power Research is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. The company’s employment decisions are based on merit, competence, performance and business needs.