Renewable Energy Researcher
WHO ARE WE?
Looking for a job that makes a real difference in our world today and one that you’ll be proud of when you look back in 20, 30 or 40 years? This is it. Clean Power Research® is advancing the energy transformation through cloud software that informs, streamlines and values energy-related decisions and processes for utilities, energy professionals and consumers.
We’re a growing company that counts 10 of the top 10 Fortune 500 utilities and many of the largest renewable energy companies in the U.S. as our customers. We’re focused on expanding our market reach and impact with new software technologies that help solve the energy industry’s hardest problems.
At Clean Power Research, every employee has a seat at the table and an important role.
WHY WORK HERE?
- Go from building solutions to being part of the solution
- Join a growing team of software and energy veterans from companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle, NextEra and Pacific Gas & Electric
- Bring your passion and ideas to the table
- Use your creativity to solve hard problems and make tough decisions
- Work in a start-up like environment coupled with the stability and customer base of an established, profitable company
- Realize work-life balance; we like to see our families, friends and pets at night!
- Join a growing company that expects you to grow with us and invests in your growth
Clean Power Research offers competitive compensation and benefits to full-time employees including medical/dental/vision, paid vacation, paid holidays, a bonus plan and 401(k) plan with matching.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING AS A RENEWABLE ENERGY RESEARCHER
Clean Power Research seeks an innovative, experienced researcher with applied technical experience in the renewable energy space. You’ll conduct a wide range of studies related to renewable energy modeling and economics, and help with novel technical modeling efforts.
In this role, you’ll also prepare reports and presentations to support existing R&D contracts concerning high-penetration renewables integration, solar irradiance forecasting and solar PV rooftop potential with both private and public entities. In so doing, you’ll help advance the state of the art and publish high-impact research in each of these areas. Furthermore, you’ll help secure additional funding by identifying and securing opportunities (e.g., grants) to further R&D efforts within the topic areas listed below.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Determining strategies for high-penetration grid-integration of renewables
- Assessing PV potential from remote sensing data
- Modeling PV, wind and storage resources
- Quantifying effective capacity of non-dispatchable resources on the grid
- Calculating power variability from PV systems in an ISO territory
- Comparing the accuracy of satellite-based solar irradiance against ground measurements
- Calculating the value of PV by estimating utility savings in fuel, capital, and O&M
- Evaluating energy storage resources or grid-connected EVs
You’ll interact with team members and clients on projects, produce and deliver meaningful results, write winning proposals to energy agencies and utilities, and develop new concepts for future analytical software tools. Responsibilities include:
- Producing results that address clients’ questions
- Learning, mastering and advancing company software tools, methodologies and data
- Documenting results in technical conference presentations, reports and peer-reviewed papers
- Ideating and pursuing advanced concepts for possible new software implementation
- Collaborating with company software development and marketing teams
WHO YOU ARE
- Minimum of MS degree in engineering or applied science, PhD preferred
- 1-2 years industry experience in relevant applied technical or engineering discipline or equivalent academic training (e.g., integrated resource planning, utility engineering and economic analysis, renewable system modeling, technical and pertinent postdoc)
- Familiarity with clean energy technologies, power systems, energy markets and engineering economics
- Advanced scripting skills in language relevant to big data analytics: e.g., R (preferred), Python, Matlab, etc.
- Demonstrated research publication record: 1-2 journal papers and/or 3-4 major industry conference papers
- Demonstrated relevant grantwork/fellowship experience (e.g. DOE, EPA, NREL, Marie Curie, CEC, NYSERDA, etc.)
- Familiarity with GiS concepts, data structures and analytics
- Excellent skills in communication, collaboration, consultation and organization
- Technical drive, objectivity, creativity and a pioneering spirit
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the link below to submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the renewable energy space along with your resume. Due to the large number of applicants for our positions, we regret that we can only respond to candidates who meet our requirements. Clean Power Research’s Research and Consulting Group is located in Napa, California, right near the heart of downtown Napa. Local, full-time, in-office candidates only, please.
Clean Power Research is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. The company’s employment decisions are based on merit, competence, performance and business needs.