Who are we?
Looking for a job that makes a real difference in our world today and one that you’ll be proud of when you look back in 20, 30 or 40 years? This is it. Clean Power Research® is advancing the energy transformation through cloud software that informs, streamlines and values energy-related decisions and processes for utilities, energy professionals and consumers.
We’re a growing company and award-winning innovator that counts seven of the top 10 utilities in the U.S. and many of the largest solar companies as our customers. We’re focused on expanding our market reach and impact with new software technologies that help solve the energy industry’s hardest problems.
At Clean Power Research, every employee has a seat at the table and an important role.
Why work here?
- Join a growing team of software and energy veterans from companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle and Pacific Gas & Electric
- Bring your passion and ideas to the table
- Use your creativity to solve hard problems and make tough decisions
- Work in a start-up like environment coupled with the stability and customer base of an established, profitable company
- Realize work-life balance; we like to see our families, friends and pets at night!
- Join a growing company that expects you to grow with us and invests in your growth
Clean Power Research offers competitive compensation and benefits to full-time employees including medical/dental/vision, paid vacation, paid holidays, a bonus plan and 401(k) plan with matching.
What you’ll be doing as a Data Scientist
Clean Power Research is seeking an entrepreneurial-minded Data Scientist with the skills and ingenuity to solve complex problems. The Data Scientist will work closely with software engineers and product managers to develop and implement data science, machine learning and statistical methods across our multifaceted, enterprise SaaS platform.
This platform—comprised of PowerClerk®, WattPlan® and SolarAnywhere®—enables utilities and the energy industry to inform, streamline and value energy-related decisions and processes. Across our products, a variety of best-in-class, highly unique datasets are growing every day—from a nationwide database of 1 km solar irradiance data derived from satellite image feeds, to a continuous data feed of customer interest in clean energy technologies.
Clean Power Research is leveraging these datasets to solve new customer problems. The Data Scientist will identify and research additional datasets, and elevate the use of these datasets in new and existing software products. This will be accomplished with rigorous application of machine learning fundamentals—from problem definition, to data preparation and agile prototyping.
This is a great opportunity for long-term growth as the company continues to evolve its services in an increasingly complex, competitive and global marketplace. The Data Scientist will help decide where and how data science is applied at Clean Power Research to answer meaningful customer problems in the burgeoning clean energy space. A highly motivated and self-driven individual will excel in this role.
Duties & responsibilities
- Work closely with software engineers and product managers across our SaaS platform to define specifications for developing and enhancing applied data science, machine learning and statistical methods. Apply a procedural framework to assess the performance of a variety of machine learning algorithms and quickly identify the most suitable approaches.
- Process, transform and experiment with high volumes of proprietary data to optimize model accuracy.
- Identify new potential data sources to enhance model performance.
- Quickly develop machine learning prototypes that will be brought to scale by our software engineers.
- Identify and evangelize opportunities to leverage data science and machine learning to improve existing products and services, and to develop new ones.
- Work closely with consultants to support projects where data science and machine learning expertise is needed.
- Communicate with Clean Power Research customers on the details of our machine learning capabilities, include algorithmic details, performance metrics, etc.
- On occasion, represent Clean Power Research at industry events and conferences.
Who you are
- Entrepreneurial-minded individual with exceptional enthusiasm for evangelizing and driving the implementation of data science approaches throughout a growing company.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in engineering, mathematics, statistics, computer science or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience in a professional environment having an analytical role involving data science techniques.
- Past success leading the use and application of a variety of machine learning approaches.
- Strong analytical skills and hands-on experience methodically applying machine learning approaches, from problem definition, to data preparation and agile prototyping.
- Coding skills (using Python, R, Scala or similar language) for analyzing data and building statistical and machine learning models.
- Experience with a variety of databases as well as query languages such SQL.
- Experience with machine learning libraries, toolkits or ML platforms such as Microsoft Cognitive Toolkit (CNTK), TensorFlow, Amazon SageMaker or Azure Machine Learning Studio.
- Strong working knowledge of statistics fundamentals. Experience with agent-based modeling or related statistical methods preferred.
- Experience with cloud computing is a plus.
- Experience with forecasting methods, particularly methods used by electric utilities to forecast load growth, is a plus.
- Passion for clean tech, solar energy or renewables.
How to apply
Click on the link below to submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the renewable energy space along with your resume. Due to the large number of applicants for our positions, we regret that we can only respond to candidates who meet our requirements. Clean Power Research is located in Kirkland near the intersection of SR520 and Lake Wash. Blvd NE (Greater Seattle Area). Local, full-time, in-office candidates only, please.
Clean Power Research is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. The company’s employment decisions are based on merit, competence, performance and business needs.