Business Development Manager – Utilities
WHO ARE WE?
Looking for a job that makes a real difference in our world today and one that you’ll be proud of when you look back in 20, 30 or 40 years? This is it. Clean Power Research® is advancing the energy transformation through cloud software that informs, streamlines and values energy-related decisions and processes for utilities, energy professionals and consumers.
We’re a growing company that counts 10 of the top 10 Fortune 500 utilities and many of the largest renewable energy companies in the U.S. as our customers. We’re focused on expanding our market reach and impact with new software technologies that help solve the energy industry’s hardest problems.
At Clean Power Research, every employee has a seat at the table and an important role.
WHY WORK HERE?
- Go from building solutions to being part of the solution
- Join a growing team of software and energy veterans from companies such as Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle and Pacific Gas & Electric
- Bring your passion and ideas to the table
- Use your creativity to solve hard problems and make tough decisions
- Work in a start-up like environment coupled with the stability and customer base of an established, profitable company
- Realize work-life balance; we like to see our families, friends and pets at night!
- Join a growing company that expects you to grow with us and invests in your growth
Clean Power Research offers competitive compensation and benefits to full-time employees including medical/dental/vision, paid vacation, paid holidays, a bonus plan, and a 401(k) plan with matching.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING AS A BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER – UTILITIES
Clean Power Research (CPR) seeks a highly motivated, self-driven Business Development Manager (BDM) to explore and develop new opportunities for the company with a particular focus on utilities.
The person in this position is responsible for exploring utility market opportunities across CPR’s software-as-a-service products, including the PowerClerk®, WattPlan® and SolarAnywhere® families. BDMs identify areas where our existing products are applicable as well as suggest new areas that we should explore, backing up recommendations with data and thorough quantitative analysis. Additionally, they work to secure pilots with customers, including searching out and responding to RFPs for awards from DOE and other agencies. BDMs also actively identify, engage, and onboard potential partners that will help drive our utility opportunities.
On a day-to-day basis, BDMs track industry trends, understand the competition, attend and present at key conferences and events and meet with customers, partners, analysts and experts to ensure that CPR’s executive staff is well-informed on important issues and opportunities. With certain opportunities, BDMs develop and execute new business models, including determining pricing and licensing. BDM’s also identify, track, and influence regulatory processes that impact CPR’s current and future offerings.
Of course, the BDM is part of the larger sales organization as well as a lean, well-functioning company. BDM must be able to efficiently transition opportunities to the rest of the sales and marketing organization.
The ideal candidate will develop a deep understanding of the utility-related markets CPR competes in, seed that knowledge internally, and use it to help the company succeed. CPR is looking for an exceptional, creative individual with a data-driven mindset and the ability to think on their feet.
Travel requirement: 25%.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collect, organize and own market data on customers, competitors, pricing, regulation, opportunities, channels and partners
- Create business cases for addressing new markets, including new verticals, geographies and products
- Create go-to-market strategy and plans for new markets
- Write proposals for funding of new opportunity development
- Drive new subscription revenue by developing new use cases for existing offerings and initial customers for new offerings
- Work closely with product management and the sales team
- Develop executive contacts with key customers and partners
- Develop and hand-off opportunities to sales, marketing and product management teams as they mature
- Identify, engage, and onboard software and implementation partners
- Develop and deliver high quality technical and business process content to maintain CPR thought leadership position in areas such as DER-to-grid integration, DER adoption forecasting, and integrated resource planning
WHO YOU ARE
- Minimum of BA/BS degree; MBA or advanced degree in closely related field preferred
- 2-4 years in business development or related role
- Superior organizational skills; ability to track and juggle many tasks
- Passion for solar energy or renewables essential; energy industry experience a plus
- Familiarity with utility business processes, systems, and regulatory issues
- International market-entry and expansion-strategy experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Comfortable presenting in front of internal and external groups, including executive audiences
- Comfortable developing new relationships in the market at conferences and direct meetings
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the link below to submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the renewable energy space along with your resume. Due to the large number of applicants for our positions, we regret that we can only respond to candidates who meet our requirements.
Clean Power Research is located in Kirkland near the intersection of SR520 and Lake Wash. Blvd NE (Greater Seattle Area). Local, full-time, in-office candidates only, please.
Clean Power Research is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. The company’s employment decisions are based on merit, competence, performance and business needs.